I have had a love affair with Netflix for quite some time. The ability to binge watch an entire season within two weeks is a godsend. What I have discovered is that waiting for a new episode each week is for chumps.
Take note Bachelor!
But Netflix and I are in an open relationship. So I have been looking at Crave and Shomi. I really had no idea of the difference so I did a little digging. Here... as far as I can tell are the pros and cons.... at least in my mind anyhow.
- Has some seriously good options; Sex and the city (and many other HBO shows), Whitney, Reality TV (including all of my favorite Alaska shows)
- MAJOR pro is that it is already an app on our Smart tv, so connecting is seamless
- $7.99 a month
- No kids shows - although this isn't so much a big deal anymore, but still no cartoons ( which I still like sometimes!)
- No close captioning. For most people this is a non issue. For me, with my malfunctioning ears, it's all but a necessity if I am going to follow any sort of dialogue. According to their website it will be available on Samsung TV (which we have) soon. Hmm... define soon..
- No movies as it mostly focuses on TVs show ( but this isn't necessarily a con per se, because I have Netflix to do the heavy lifting in the movie department)
- Cheap $8.99/month
- Good kids genre
- OUTLANDER! One of my new favorite shows, so this a major plus!
- There is no Shomi app on our tv. That means I would have to move the Apple TV receiver down from upstairs, which I am not about to do. So honestly, that was the deal breaker right there.
I signed up for the one month free trial. I like it so far, only skimmed a few things, but I HATE the no subtitles. I am so used to it being on our regular TV and Netflix that going without it almost feels so foreign.
Netflix and I will always have a special relationship and somehow, I think that this new chapter will be a little fling.
Now if you will excuse me, I'm off to binge watch SATC.