Thursday, November 24, 2011

Everyone should have a resource

There are good days and there are bad, that's a given.

In our trials and tribulations regarding Zach's ADHD, we tend to clear one obstacle only to go diving headfirst into the next.  In this journey my family (because the entire family, parents and siblings also go through this process) and I have taken, we have had to seek out resources to help.  Now that we are well into the process, I now know where to go for help when we need it.

I don't hide Zach's diagnosis, but I don't let it define him either.  Still, sometimes parents of other kids do ask me for help as they know I have been through it.  I understand what they are going through and I sympathize with their frustrations, because at one time, they were my frustrations!

ADHD kids can have trouble in the classroom, while that's about as obvious as saying "humans need oxygen", it doesn't point you in the right direction for help if you need it. As parents we need to be advocates for our children.  Here is  great resource.

MATC - Mental Health Services for Children, Youth and Families

MATC is great. They have an entire suite of programs available/ Here are my favorite 2:

1. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Service:
228 Maryland Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3G 1L6
hone: (204) 958-9636 Fax:(204) 958-9618

The ADHD Service provides consultation, assessment and treatment to children and youth with a diagnosis of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

2. Student Mental Health Resource Team:
228 Maryland Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3G 1L6
Phone: (204) 958-9600 Fax:(204) 958-9618

The Student Mental Health Resource Team provides a variety of services to families and services in collaboration with school divisions.  This team goes into the classroom and observes your child. they then make recommendations to both the school and the parents on what actions to take to help the child.  The great thing here is that they work with you in conjunction with the school to be an advocate for your child's needs.

If you're struggling... it's a great place to start. Anyone can make a referral to MATC programs, this includes a young person, parents, family members or professional who work with the child.

The first step is to call Centralized Intake.  They will ask for some background information on the child and why help is being requested. After that they will then help you choose the programs that your child will benefit from.

Centralized Intake 204-958-9660


Powered by Blogger.